Our 2016 balcony crop has come in. A bit of a disappointment this year, as we were away for most of August, and were not able to care for the garden as much as we would have liked.
- The corn was harvested too late – by the time we returned home, it was overripe and tasted pretty gross. It looked OK.
- Our sunflowers and some of our other flowers died
- Some of our carrots fared well and tasted great, but another planter of carrots died
- One of our tomato plants died, the other is still doing well and bearing a couple ripe tomatoes every day
I need a balcony friendly watering system!
Our 2015 balcony crop is coming in.
- Our strawberry plants have yielded a couple of mediocre berries every day
- The verdict is out on our first broccoli plants. They do not resemble what we get from the grocery store
- Cherry tomato yields are good (production is exceeding consumption)
- Carrots are tasty, but small
- All flowers are beautiful
- Pole beans are excellent
- Chives are excellent
- We added a third pot of sweet corn. In spite of our late start, it looks like yields have increased and quality is good.
My personal brain dump, Opinions, Projects, Toronto